Written by Amanda Geaney
Originally posted to my personal Facebook page March 7, 2013
I am a creature of habit. I like schedules and plans and could care very little for spontaneity or surprises. With that established let me share the story of the Guard and God.
It was early August when Jay called me from his TDY to Little Rock telling me that the Guard unit had asked him to apply for a job. My response over the phone was, “We can talk about it when you get home but be praying about it.” He drove home on Saturday and we talked about all the details before bed. (I may be the only person that has trouble sleeping when a major decision is at hand, tell me if I am wrong, but I didn’t sleep well that night). Sunday morning I woke up before anyone in the house and went downstairs. I wrote a list of all of my concerns about Jays proposition and then prayed for God to show us clear direction and to give us wisdom. That night Jay found out that he did not get a school slot (closed door). Then on Monday the Guard in St. Joseph, MO called and asked if Jay would like a full time job in their unit (open door). Clear direction, right? Taking it as such, we drove to St. Joseph’s to drop of a resume, sightsee, and look for homes but in the end the full time position became an unsure thing (closed door).
By the end of the month Jay was convinced that Little Rock was where we needed to be. We loaded the van and drove South for a meet and greet. In all honesty, I was just along for the ride because I was still so sure that God had wanted us to go to St. Joe. Why else would that phone call have come the day after I had prayed? I sarcastically teased Jay that the unit would greet him at the door with flowers and balloons as he dropped us off at the TLF and changed into his uniform. When he walked out the door I circled the kids and we prayed that “if this is your will, God, we ask that daddy (Jay) would find favor with this unit and get offered a job.” After a couple of hours he didn’t return with flowers or balloons but he had been offered a position with the 189th. The ride back to Scott was long so we had plenty of time to talk and think about what the transition to the guard would mean for us. After 8 active duty deployments and countless weeks tdy, leaving the comforts of active duty for a non-deployable, traditional with the possibility of a full-time position job, didn’t seem like such a gamble but more like a chance to grow roots and provide a more stable home life for the children.
September 1st, the house went on the market For Sale By Owner. Prayers continued: Is this Your will? Is it the right choice for our family? Please God bring us a buyer! We prayed, friends prayed, my faithful prayer warriors from Community Bible Study (CBS) prayed on our behalf. Nothing.
Jay’s job was suppose to start January 4th but there was no buyer for our house in sight. We had a few interested parties but one thing or another always presented a problem. More prayers. Then doubt. I remember being in CBS and grumbling that maybe this was Jay’s will and not Gods will but my friends were quick to rebuke me (Ephesians 5:22). I needed that attitude check.
After 30 days without a showing, we listed with an agent. Time was running out as the days rolled into December. One afternoon in the shower (my only place to be alone with my thoughts) it came to me, “We are just going to have to trust that God is going to do this and schedule the movers.” I shared this thought with Jay and he asked what I would do if the movers came but the house didn’t sell. I had a back up plan to have the movers take everything except the furniture in the basement which the children and I could use until the house sold. Then when it sold we would donate it to Beacon of Belleville Furniture Ministry. They offer pick up so moving the furniture wouldn’t be an issue. Jay scheduled the movers to pack December 26th & 27th and move on the 28th.
Christmas came and went and the movers were at our house. Prayers: “Okay God, I’m trusting.” The house was empty.
December 30th 12:59 pm my neighbor texts me: “Good afternoon I know you might be at church or busy with the move but I was trying to see if you guys got the house rented yet?” January 1st she signed a 3 year lease and asked for a move in date of January 18th. We loaded the van and drove to Little Rock the same day to house hunt. January 2nd, change of plans, the neighbor called and asked if she could move in the coming weekend. We put an offer on a house with 10 acres and Jay left that night to return to Illinois to pack out the house. January 3rd (my birthday) Jay returned and at dinner a call came that the offer was excepted on our new home.
We moved out of the hotel and into the motorhome the following day. Previously, in November, I had called to make reservations for Jay to stay there should he have to move by himself but was told that part of the camp was under construction and it was expected to last beyond the projected date of completion. We were told there would be no spots available. However, when we drove by Fam Camp two slots were open and we quickly snatched one up. By staying at the Fam Camp on base we were eligible to register Joseph in the base school.
January 15th I met my new CBS class servants team leaders for lunch. In the process of telling our story I shared a photo of the kids in the motorhome. Immediately and without hesitation we are offered a house to stay in. In fact, Mrs. Stella insists that we stay there and asked me to follow here to the home after lunch to see it. I did not know that there were views like the one that this home had in the state of Arkansas, beautiful. After work I drove Jay to the house explaining what had transpired and that night we moved in.
The bottom line is we prayed, we waited, we had moments of doubt, but when we stepped out in faith God delivered (BIG!!).
1. Pray – “And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.” Matthew 21:22
In this particular case my first response was to pray. To ask God for His will in our lives and to cast my fears on Him. I confess that often times I react out of emotion/fear or my “fix-it” mentality and then go to God but I am working on that.
2. Wait – This is the hardest part for me! I found myself trying to help things along and the whole time He was saying “Be still. Trust me to see you through this and to bless as many people as I can through this.”
3. Attitude – The one thing that I was completely in control of the entire time was my attitude. Would I trust God to work through our lives and through my husband or would I worry. Would I submit to my husband (Ephesians 5:22-23) or would I be pessimistic and argumentative.
4. Godly Counsel – “The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice.” Proverbs 12:15. Not only were the ladies from my bible study praying with me, they were providing Godly counsel. When I began to doubt if my husband was yielding to the Spirit or pursuing his own agenda my friends reminded me that God would deal with Jay. My responsibility was to respectfully submit to my husband. God would bless my obedience (now or later). If you are going through a difficult time seek out women of faith who can give you guidance and help bring things into a Godly perspective.