Cherished Women at First will be hosting a Summer Reading digital book club. It may seem a little premature to be talking about summer when just two weekends ago we were scraping ice off our windows. However, this little tease of warmer weather has me thinking about pedicures and escaping into a good read – poolside of course. I’m also a bit of a bibliophile so if you are too then lets plan to meet up!
Basics to Participating
The big rules for our book club: No spoilers that take place in the rest of the book, and only post after you’ve read the section (which helps prevent you from being “spoiled”). We do allow spoilers for each section, though. For instance, if this week’s reading was on Ch 1-3, you can talk all about everything in Ch 1-3, spoilers and all, but do not share anything from Ch 4+.
- Read the book and comment during the allotted time. Our goal is to chat about the book, so all we want to know are your book-related thoughts.
- Go back and comment on other people’s responses. The purpose is discussion, so don’t stop by once, stop by a few times.
- Don’t talk about anything AFTER the assigned section.
- If you read ahead, it’s okay! Just stop at the assigned points and jot down some notes (before continuing to read!). That way, you can comment along with everyone else without giving spoilers by accident.
- Have fun with it. It’s a book club, not an assignment.
Where We Meet
Only on Facebook! This way you can participate no matter where your summer activities and travel plans take you. Request to join the group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/CherishedBookClub/. Can you invite friends, aunts, cousins, or mom to join? Sure. We will be choosing Christian fiction and non-fiction books only so this could be an indirect way to present the gospel.
When Do We Meet
We will start reading June 1st and our first discussion question will be posted on Friday, June 6th. Since we are doing our discussion in a Facebook group the comments will never go away. If you fall behind you can read the comments from the session you missed and rejoin us at the next discussion time.
How Books Are Chosen
May 1st you may start making suggestions right to our Facebook wall. I will compile the suggestions and we will vote directly on our Facebook page. Don’t worry if your suggestion is not picked the first time. We will read as many books as we can over the course of the summer. The length of the books we choose will determine the number of weeks that we spend on each selection.
I look forward to chatting with you and I pray that we will be mutually encouraged through great Christian literary works!
Cherished Women at First
Social Media Coordinator